General Nerve Support Remedy
The nervous system is like a complex network of electrical wires running through your entire body. It contains billions of specialized cells called neurons (see first photo). Neurons are organized into cylindrical bundles of nerve fibers that emanate from the brain and central spinal cord, and branch repeatedly to innervate every part of the body. Signals jumping from node to node travel so fast it allows your brain to communicate with your toes within milliseconds. Nerves control every action of our body- voluntary and involuntary.
The plasma membrane of neurons, like all other cells, has an unequal distribution of sodium and potassium ions and electrical charges between the two sides of the membrane. The outside of the membrane has a positive charge, the inside has a negative charge. This charge difference is a resting potential and is measured in millivolts. This millivolt charge is what allows electrodermal screening, kinesiology, the EKG test and lie detector tests possible.
When the brain sends a signal in response to information that came in through the nerves, it responds back through the same nervous system. A cell that receives a synaptic signal (message from the brain) may be excited, inhibited, or otherwise modulated. The interactions of all these types of neurons form neural circuits that generate an organism's perception of the world and determine its behavior.
The nervous system is often broken down into sections, or divisions that have their own functions. Please refer to a Wikipedia diagram. The General Nerve Support remedy was designed to provide general neuron support (central [CNS], peripheral [PNS] and sensory nervous system support). This remedy also initiates balance of the sodium/potassium pump that allows the electrical charges between membranes, and supports the myelin sheath, meninges and structural integrity of the nervous system. If you require support for more specific nerve centers, please select them from the left column.
- Rate of neuron growth during development of a fetus (in the womb)= 250,000 neurons/minute.
- The average number of neurons in the human brain= 100 billion; the average number of neurons in an octopus brain= 300 billion.
- Velocity of a signal transmitted through a neuron= 1.2 to 250 miles/hour.
- Neuritis (polyneuritis, polyneuropathy) is a general term for inflammation of a nerve or the general inflammation of the peripheral nervous system. Symptoms depend on the nerves involved, but may include pain, paresthesia (pins & needles), paresis (weakness), hypoesthesia (numbness), anesthesia, paralysis, wasting, and disappearance of the reflexes.
- Bell's Palsy - A form of Neuritis that involves paralysis of the facial nerve causing weakness of the muscles of one side of the face and an inability to close the eye.
- Sciatica, a common condition arising from compression of, or damage to, a nerve or nerve root.
- Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic disease of the nervous system, or more specifically, the myelin sheath which is the outer protection of the nerves.
- Please see the other nerve categories for additional information.
Suggestions To Strengthen
- Reduce stress. If you cannot change the stress load, take time to play and have down time.
- Eliminate refined sugars and alcohol.
- Increase foods high in B-vitamins and consider the Vitamin D3 supplement.
- Regular exercise for circulation to nerves, but nerve exercises as well. Any dexterity movements or simply writing a letter with pen/pencil and paper a few times a week helps a lot.
- Increase your amount of polyunsaturated fats (pure coconut oil).
- Get plenty of sleep.