Pineal Support Remedy
The pineal gland is a small gland located very near the pituitary in the center of the head. Modern medicine will tell you that the precise function of the pineal gland is not known, but I believe that is because there are certain aspects of the pineal (discussed below) that cannot be discovered with dissection and test tubes. We do know that the pineal gland produces a variety of hormones including: noradrenaline, serotonin, histamine, dopamine, octopamine, luteinising hormone releasing hormone (LHRH), thyrotrophin releasing hormone (TRH), somatostatin and vasotocin. The main hormone produced and released by the pineal is melatonin, which is derived from the amino acid tryptophan.
Melatonin acts to increase sleepiness, the duration of sleep and the quality of sleep (thus higher levels are released at night/in darkness). It helps regulate (particularly drop) body temperature (thought to be through dilation of blood vessels), regulates other hormone levels and electrolytes. Melatonin also inhibits the stimulation of gonadotropin (LH) activity before puberty (antigonadotropic). It therefore prevents onset of puberty before the appropriate age. Long days inhibit melatonin and stimulate gonadal activity (yes, make sure your kids get plenty of sleep so they are not developing sexually before they should).
The pineal gland alters its activity in response to the state of light, as detected through this pathway. During darkness (i.e. night) it has an increased activity, where the hormones it produces are produced at an accelerated rate. Conversely, during light (i.e. day) its activity is suppressed. This daily rhythm is known as the circadian rhythm, and it appears that the gland has a major role in maintaining the circadian rhythm of the body.
Descartes states that the pineal gland is the 'seat of the soul'. It is associated with what many call the third eye or sixth chakra, which is a doorway to Higher consciousness and bliss. The Pineal is considered a portal to the inner or Higher self by yogi masters. Psychics consider it to be the link for inter dimensional experiences. An unusual psychiatrist, professor of medicine at University of New Mexico, and practicing Buddhist, Dr. Rick Strassman, MD, has written a book based on actual human studies of people under the psychedelic drug, DMT, 'The Spirit Molecule'. He has discovered, among other things, that the pineal gland is a source of DMT production during birth and at death, and during near death or mystical experiences. One things seems for certain, the Pineal acts as much more than a mere producer of hormones .. it may function more like a beacon that links us to the universe .. perhaps what allows intuition, ESP and other such things? (thus the photo I chose)
- The pineal gland can be trained. It is an intelligent organ in the sense that it will respond to that which it is subjected. We know that if we keep a constant sleeping pattern, the body will naturally wake up at the same time each day and soon you don't need an alarm (this is circadian rhythm). You have basically trained the pineal gland.
- According to scientist Jennifer Luke, sodium fluoride (in your bathing or drinking water) targets the Pineal most of all and creates a cascade of blocked endocrine activity.
- The pineal is like a crystal. When light enters the eyes, with help of the eyes, the pineal fragments it into the various frequencies needed by the body.
- SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is a pineal related illness that comes as a result of not enough light.
- Tumors of the pineal region account for just 0.5 percent to 1.6 percent of human brain tumors. Pineal tumors typically present with hydrocephalus, a build-up of cerebrospinal fluid pressure within the brain.
- There are also cases where the pineal gland will begin to calcify and cause all sorts of neurological symptoms.
Suggestions To Strengthen
- Get on a consistent schedule -to bed, waking and eating at the same times each day.
- Become more social and learn that rejection is okay.
- Eliminate Fluoride from your drinking water, toothpaste, water you bathe in, etc. It dumbs down intuitive and creative thinking.
- Trust your intuition. Problems with Pineal often comes to those who have intuition but have not used it..Use it or lose it! Society promotes logic and predictability, not intuition.
- Get into meditation, particularly the styles that incorporate a vocal mantra like Om as these resonant sounds open circulation and bring health to the Pineal region.
- If you have SAD syndrome or detect a pineal weakness due to a lack of natural light, try our Vitamin D. In more severe cases, you may need to sit under a full spectrum bulb (lit) for 45 minutes. The earlier in the morning, the better; generally most effective if used before noon.