Stachybotrys is a cellulose-degrading fungus (mold) commonly found in soil and on materials rich in cellulose such as hay, straw, cereal grains, plant debris, wood pulp, paper, and cotton. Although it mainly survives as a saprophyte (i.e., by feeding on dead material), it has also been found to cause lesions on the roots of soybean plants. Presence of this mold in a building is an indication of an existing or previous water problem.

The Stachybotrys mold produces a powerful mycotoxin and just touching it can give you a rash. Despite the far-reaching public health measures that have emerged as a result of recent publications, the health risks from environmental exposure to Stachybotrys remain poorly defined.

Symptoms may include headache, sore throat, diarrhea, fatigue, dermatitis, and depression. Chronic fatigue, dermatologic, constitutional, and lower respiratory tract problems have also been reported in some cases.

NOTE: If you suspect you have been exposed to this fungus, it is probable that you have been exposed to some Mycotoxins produced by this fungus and you will need to add that (Mycotoxin) remedy to your cart as well.